- •Mortality rate among patients with SAR-COV-2 infection who received ECMO therapy was high in particular in Asia.
- •Complications of ECMO were prevalent including thromboembolic events, circuit thrombosis, and bleeding.
- •A system of care, including patient selection, resource management and referral system, can impact the outcomes of ECMO therapy.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Severe COVID-19.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 2451-2460
- Respiratory physiology of COVID-19-induced respiratory failure compared to ARDS of other etiologies.Crit Care. 2020; 24: 529
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in patients with H1N1 influenza infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis including 8 studies and 266 patients receiving ECMO.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R30
- Veno-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation allocation in the COVID-19 pandemic.J Crit Care. 2021; 61: 221-226
- Bleeding and thrombotic events in adults supported with venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: an ELSO registry analysis.Intensive Care Med. 2022; 48: 213-224
- Planning and provision of ECMO services for severe ARDS during the COVID-19 pandemic and other outbreaks of emerging infectious diseases.Lancet Respir Med. 2020; 8: 518-526
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
United Nations Statistics Division: Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and other groupings. Available at: http://millenniumindicators.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm. Accessed May 3, 2020
The World Bank: How we classify countries. Available at: http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications. Accessed May 3, 2020
- Methodological quality of case series studies: an introduction to the JBI critical appraisal tool.JBI Evid Synth. 2020; 18: 2127-2133
Moola S, Munn Z, Tufanaru C, Aromataris E, Sears K, Sfetcu R, Currie M, Lisy K, Qureshi R, Mattis P, Mu P. Chapter 7: Systematic reviews of etiology and risk. In: Aromataris E, Munn Z (Editors). JBI Manual for Evidence Synthesis. JBI, 2020. Available from: https://synthesismanual.jbi.global. https://doi.org/10.46658/JBIMES-20-08
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for COVID-19: evolving outcomes from the international extracorporeal life support organization registry.Lancet. 2021; 398: 1230-1238
- Efficacy and economic assessment of conventional ventilatory support versus extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for severe adult respiratory failure (CESAR): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1351-1363
- Poor survival with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) due to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): pooled analysis of early reports.J Crit Care. 2020; 58: 27-28
- Management of adult patients supported with venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (VV ECMO): guideline from the extracorporeal life support organization (ELSO).ASAIO J. 2021; 67: 601-610
- Is diabetes mellitus associated with mortality and severity of COVID-19? A meta-analysis.Diabetes Metab Syndr. 2020; 14: 535-545
- Factors associated with deaths due to COVID-19 versus other causes: population-based cohort analysis of UK primary care data and linked national death registrations within the OpenSAFELY platform.Lancet Reg Health Eur. 2021; 6100109
- Risk factors for mortality among COVID-19 patients.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020; 166108293
- Risk factors for mortality of adult patients with COVID-19 hospitalised in an emerging country: a cohort study.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e050321
- Risk factors for mortality of 557 adult patients with COVID 19 in Babol, Northern Iran: a retrospective cohort study.Bratisl Lek Listy. 2021; 122: 34-38
- Risk factors for mortality in adult COVID-19 patients who develop bloodstream infections mostly caused by antimicrobial-resistant organisms: analysis at a large teaching hospital in Italy.J Clin Med. 2021; : 10
- Analysis of the risk factors for mortality in adult COVID-19 patients in Wuhan: a multicenter study.Front Med. 2020; 7 (Lausanne);: 545
- APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system.Crit Care Med. 1985; 13: 818-829
- Predicting survival after extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for severe acute respiratory failure. The respiratory extracorporeal membrane oxygenation survival prediction (RESP) score.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 1374-1382
- A new simplified acute physiology score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American Multicenter study.JAMA. 1993; 270: 2957-2963
- The SOFA (sepsis-related organ failure assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the working group on sepsis-related problems of the European society of intensive care medicine.Intensive Care Med. 1996; 22: 707-710
- Venous thromboembolism in COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Vasc Med. 2021; 26: 415-425
- Diagnosis, management, and pathophysiology of arterial and venous thrombosis in COVID-19.JAMA. 2020; 324: 2548-2549
- Intraoperative care of elderly patients with COVID-19 undergoing double lung transplantation: two case reports.World J Clin Cases. 2020; 8: 5765-5772
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for coronavirus disease 2019-induced acute respiratory distress syndrome: a multicenter descriptive study.Crit Care Med. 2020; 48: 1289-1295
- The role of ECMO in COVID-19: can it provide rescue therapy in those who are critically ill?.J Card Surg. 2020; 35: 1298-1301
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of five critical COVID-19 patients treated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in Leishenshan Hospital in Wuhan.J Clin Anesth. 2020; 67110033