- •This is the first time to investigate interleukin 10 (IL-10)-1082G/A gene polymorphism associated with the risk of acute lung injury/respiratory distress syndrome (ALI/RDS) by meta-analysis.
- •Allele G and genotype GG at IL-10-1082G/A locus could increase the ALI/RDS risk, especially in Asia.
- •Allele G, genotype GG+GA, GG, and GA at IL-10-1082G/A locus could increase the neonatal RDS risk.
Several records have reported that single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) at the interleukin 10 (IL-10)-1082G/A locus affects the risk of acute lung injury/respiratory distress syndrome (ALI/RDS), but the exact association between them has not been elucidated.
This systematic review aims to elucidate the relationship between SNP at the IL-10-1082G/A locus and susceptibility to ALI/RDS by the method of meta-analysis, to identify the early warning indicators of ALI/RDS.
Studies on IL-10-1082G/A SNP associated with ALI/RDS were obtained by thorough retrieval of four English databases from each database construction to April 1, 2022. We processed the data using Stata 15.0 software.
Eight eligible records were entered into this meta-analysis. The pooled analysis demonstrated that SNP at the IL-10-1082G/A locus contributed to the risk of ALI/RDS in the allelic (G vs. A: OR= 0.74, 95%CI: 0.55∼0.98) and recessive gene models (Genotype GG vs. GA+AA: OR= 0.57, 95%CI: 0.35∼0.93). The subgroup analysis based on case type showed that SNP at IL-10-1082G/A locus contributed to the risk of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome (NRDS) under all the gene models (Allele G vs. A: OR= 0.45, 95%CI: 0.29∼0.72; Genotype GG+GA vs. AA: OR= 0.36, 95%CI: 0.22∼0.58; Genotype GG vs. GA+AA: OR= 0.30, 95%CI: 0.09∼0.97; Genotype GA vs. AA: OR= 0.44, 95%CI: 0.27∼0.73), except the homozygous model. However, it was not found that SNP at the IL-10-1082G/A locus contributed to ALI or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Moreover, the risk of ALI/RDS in Asia was associated with the IL-10-1082G/A locus in the allelic, recessive, and heterozygous models, while we did not observe this association across the Caucasian populations.
SNP at the IL-10-1082G/A locus contributed to the risk of ALI/RDS, allele G and genotype GG increasing the ALI/RDS risk, especially in Asia. Besides, allele G, genotype GG+GA, GG, and GA at the IL-10-1082G/A locus can increase susceptibility to NRDS.
Abbreviations:ALI (acute lung injury), RDS (respiratory distress syndrome), NRDS (neonatal respiratory distress syndrome), ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), PS (pulmonary surfactant), ECR1 (erythrocyte complement receptor 1), IL-10 (Interleukin 10), PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses), NOS (Newcastle-Ottawa Scale), OR (odds ratio), CI (confidence interval), FEM (fixed-effects model), REM (random-effects model), HWE (Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium), SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Urinary Glycosaminoglycans predict outcomes in septic shock and acute respiratory distress syndrome.Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2016; 194: 439-449
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome and acute lung injury.Postgrad Med J. 2011; 87: 612
- Prevention and treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in preterm neonates.Neonatal Netw. 2018; 37: 169-177
- Epidemiology of pediatric acute respiratory distress syndrome in singapore: risk factors and predictive respiratory indices for mortality.Front Pediatr. 2014; 2: 78
- Positive end-expiratory pressure setting in adults with acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome: a randomized controlled trial.Jama. 2008; 299: 646-655
- Diabetic patients have a decreased incidence of acute respiratory distress syndrome.Crit Care Med. 2000; 28: 2187-2192
- Correlation of ECR1 A3650G polymorphism with neonatal respiratory distress syndrome.Genet Test Mol Bioma. 2015; 19: 18-23
- IL-10 producing B cells regulated 1,3-β-glucan induced Th responses in coordinated with Treg.Immunol Lett. 2021; 235: 15-21
- Anti-inflammatory effects of fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibition in monocytes/macrophages from Alzheimer's disease patients.Biomolecules. 2021; 11
- An investigation of polymorphism in the interleukin-10 gene promoter.Int J Immunogenet. 1997; 24: 1
- Interleukin-10 polymorphism in position -1082 and acute respiratory distress syndrome.Eur Respir J. 2006; 27: 674-681
- Genetic variations in inflammation-related genes and their influence on the susceptibility of pediatric acute lung injury in a Chinese population.GENE. 2019; 687: 16-22
- Cytokine gene polymorphisms in Italian preterm infants: association between interleukin-10–1082 G/A polymorphism and respiratory distress syndrome.Pediatr Res. 2007; 61: 313-317
- Methods of systematic reviews and meta-analysis preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Plos Med. 2009; 8: 336-341
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Association of IL-101082 G/G genotype with lower mortality of acute respiratory distress syndrome in a Chinese population.Mol Biol Rep. 2012; 39: 1-04
- Association between Interleukin-10-1082 G/A and tumor necrosis factor-α 308 G/A gene polymorphisms and respiratory distress syndrome in Iranian preterm infants.Mediat Inflamm. 2017; 2017: 1-08
- Association between inflammatory genetic polymorphism and acute lung injury after cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass.Med Sci Monit. 2010; 16: R260-R265
- Association between interleukin-10 genetic variant (-1082G>A) with detection and severity of respiratory distress syndrome in preterm neonates.Int J Immunogenet. 2020; 47
- Inflammation and immune-related candidate gene associations with acute lung injury susceptibility and severity: a validation study.Plos One. 2012; 7: e51104
- IL-10-overexpressing B cells regulate innate and adaptive immune responses.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015; 135: 771-780
- Human non-germinal center B cell interleukin (IL)-12 production is primarily regulated by T cell signals CD40 ligand, interferon γ, and IL-10: role of B cells in the maintenance of T cell responses.J Exp Med. 1999; 189: 1-12
- Endogenous IL-6 and IL-10 contribute to the differentiation of CD40-activated human B lymphocytes.J Immunol. 1995; 154: 2533-2544
- Interleukin 10 inhibits alveolar macrophage production of inflammatory mediators involved in adult respiratory distress syndrome.J Surg Res. 1998; 79: 179-184
- Gene polymorphisms of tumor necrosis factor alpha-308 and interleukin-10-1082 among asthmatic Egyptian children.Allergy Asthma Proceedings. 2008; 29: 268-273
- Associations between polymorphisms in IL-10 gene and the risk of viral hepatitis: a meta-analysis.Gut Pathog. 2020; 12
- Relationship between IL-10 gene polymorphisms and the risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a meta-analysis.Hum Immunol. 2016; 77: 418-425
- IL-10 Polymorphisms and tuberculosis susceptibility: an updated meta-analysis.Yonsei Med J. 2015; 56: 1274-1287
Published online: December 13, 2022
Accepted: November 30, 2022
Received in revised form: November 29, 2022
Received: April 29, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.