- ■Inpatient PCE is underutilized among COPD hospitalizations.
- ■The inpatient PCE is inversely associated with the risk of 30-day all-cause rehospitalization.
- ■This association varied by discharge destination and was statistically significant among those discharged to a facility (63%) and also among those discharged to home with home health (58%).
- ■The potential for a decreased burden of rehospitalization along with its current underutilization suggests that there may be opportunities to improve patient outcomes by the incorporation of inpatient PCE in the care of the hospitalized COPD patient.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Global and regional estimates of COPD prevalence: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Glob Health. 2015; 5020415https://doi.org/10.7189/jogh.05-020415
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and smoking status — United States, 2017.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 533https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6824a1
- Deaths: leading causes for 2019.Natl Vital Stat Rep Cent Dis Control Prev Natl Cent Health Stat Natl Vital Stat Syst. 2021; 70: 1-114
- Total and state-specific medical and absenteeism costs of COPD among adults aged ≥ 18 years in the United States for 2010 and projections through 2020.Chest. 2015; 147: 31-45https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-0972
- Insights about the economic impact of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease readmissions post implementation of the hospital readmission reduction program.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2018; 24: 138-146https://doi.org/10.1097/MCP.0000000000000454
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa0803563
- Early hospital readmissions after an acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the nationwide readmissions database.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15: 837-845https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201712-913OC
- Understanding why patients with COPD get readmitted: a large national study to delineate the Medicare population for the readmissions penalty expansion.Chest. 2015; 147: 1219-1226https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-2181
- Factors associated with differential readmission diagnoses following acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.J Hosp Med. 2020; 15: 219-227https://doi.org/10.12788/jhm.3367
- Rethinking thirty-day hospital readmissions: shorter intervals might be better indicators of quality of care.Health Aff. 2016; 35 (proj hope): 1867-1875https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0205
- Predictors of early readmission among patients 40 to 64 years of age hospitalized for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 685-694https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201310-358OC
- Risk assessment of readmissions following an initial COPD-related hospitalization.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2013; 8: 551-559https://doi.org/10.2147/COPD.S51507
- Comorbidities and short-term prognosis in patients hospitalized for acute exacerbation of COPD: the EPOC en servicios de medicina interna (ESMI) study.Chest. 2012; 142: 1126-1133https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2413
- Psychosocial risk factors for hospital readmission in COPD patients on early discharge services: a cohort study.BMC Pulm Med. 2011; 11: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2466-11-49
- Gait speed and readmission following hospitalisation for acute exacerbations of COPD: a prospective study.Thorax. 2015; 70: 1131-1137https://doi.org/10.1136/thoraxjnl-2015-207046
- Association between social support and self-care behaviors in adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017; 14: 1419-1427https://doi.org/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201701-026OC
- Contribution of social factors to readmissions within 30 days after hospitalization for COPD exacerbation.BMC Pulm Med. 2020; 20: 107https://doi.org/10.1186/s12890-020-1136-8
- Introduction to hospice and palliative care.Prim Care Clin Off Pract. 2019; 46: 287-302https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pop.2019.04.001
- Does inpatient palliative care consultation impact outcomes following hospital discharge? A narrative systematic review.Palliat Med. 2020; 34: 5-15https://doi.org/10.1177/0269216319870649
- The effects of an inpatient palliative care team on discharge disposition.J Palliat Med. 2010; 13: 541-548https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2009.0300
- Inpatient palliative care consultation and 30-day readmissions in oncology.J Palliat Med. 2018; 21: 62-68https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2017.0172
- The impact of inpatient palliative care consultations on 30-day hospital readmissions.J Palliat Med. 2015; 18: 956-961https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2015.0138
- Impact of palliative care screening and consultation in the ICU: a multihospital quality improvement project.J Pain Symptom Manag. 2017; 53 (e3): 5-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2016.08.003
- Standardized criteria for palliative care consultation on a solid tumor oncology service reduces downstream health care use.J Oncol Pract. 2017; 13: e431-e440https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2016.016808
- Inpatient palliative care for patients with acute heart failure: outcomes from a randomized trial.J Palliat Med. 2015; 18: 134-142https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2014.0192
NRD Overview. Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nrdoverview.jsp
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199801000-00004
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivar Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2011.568786
D'Agostino R.B. Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group. Stat Med. 1998;17(19):2265–2281.https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19981015)17:19<2265::AID-SIM918>3.0.CO;2-B.
- Generalizing observational study results: applying propensity score methods to complex surveys.Health Serv Res. 2014; 49: 284-303https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.12090
- How well do we care for patients with end stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? A comparison of palliative care and quality of life in COPD and lung cancer.Thorax. 2000; 55: 1000-1006https://doi.org/10.1136/thorax.55.12.1000
- Symptoms, depression, and quality of life in patients with heart failure.J Card Fail. 2007; 13: 643-648https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2007.05.005
- Range and severity of symptoms over time among older adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart failure.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 2503-2508https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.167.22.2503
- Symptom burden in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2012; 18: 97-103https://doi.org/10.1097/MCP.0b013e32834fa84c
- Understanding breathlessness: cross-sectional comparison of symptom burden and palliative care needs in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cancer.J Palliat Med. 2010; 13: 1109-1118https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2010.0068
- Palliative care for the patient without cancer.Aust J Gen Pract. 2018; 47: 765-769https://doi.org/10.31128/AJGP-07-18-4625
- Illness trajectories and palliative care.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1007-1011https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.330.7498.1007
World Health Organization. Accessed June 17, 2022. https://www.who.int/health-topics/palliative-care
- Evaluating the effects of inpatient palliative care consultations on subsequent hospice use and place of death in patients with advanced GI cancers.J Oncol Pract. 2014; 10: 174-177https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2014.001429
- Impact of a palliative care consult service.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014; 31: 175-182https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909113482746
- Does inpatient palliative care facilitate home-based palliative care postdischarge? A retrospective cohort study.Palliat Med Rep. 2021; 2: 25-33https://doi.org/10.1089/pmr.2020.0095
- Finding pure and simple truths with administrative data.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1433-1435https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.404
- Validation of the ICD-9 diagnostic code for palliative care in patients hospitalized with heart failure within the veterans health administration.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018; 35: 959-965https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909117747519
- Validation of the V66.7 code for palliative care consultation in a single academic medical center.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20: 372-377https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2016.0363
- Selection bias in observational studies of palliative care: lessons learned.J Pain Symptom Manag. 2021; 61 (e2): 1002-1011https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2020.09.011
- An official American thoracic society clinical policy statement: palliative care for patients with respiratory diseases and critical illnesses.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 177: 912-927https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200605-587ST
- Palliative care in advanced lung disease: the challenge of integrating palliation into everyday care.Chest. 2015; 148: 801-809https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-2593