- •Mortality in ARDS is evaluated at 40%.
- •No curative treatment has been found since its first publication in 1976.
- •Neuromuscular Blockers could show a potential effect.
- •Lower sedation levels could also be a beneficial factor on lowering mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Acute respiratory distress in adults.Lancet. 1967; 2: 319-323
- The American-European Consensus Conference on ARDS. Definitions, mechanisms, relevant outcomes, and clinical trial coordination.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994; 149 (Pt 1): 818-824
- Early neuromuscular blockade in the acute respiratory distress syndrome.New England Journal of Medicine. 2019; 380: 1997-2008
- Definition and epidemiology of acute respiratory distress syndrome.Ann Transl Med. 2017; 5: 282
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome: the Berlin Definition.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2526-2533
- Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injury.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1685-1693
- Epidemiology, patterns of care, and mortality for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in intensive care units in 50 countries.JAMA. 2016; 315: 788-800
- Fifty years of research in ARDS. The epidemiology of acute respiratory distress syndrome. A 50th birthday review.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 195: 860-870
- Prone positioning in severe acute respiratory distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 2159-2168
- Effect of prone positioning during mechanical ventilation on mortality among patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2014; 186: E381-E390
- Higher vs lower positive end-expiratory pressure in patients with acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome: systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2010; 303: 865-873
- Management of acute respiratory distress syndrome and refractory hypoxemia. a multicenter observational study.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2017; 14: 1818-1826
- Neuromuscular blockers in early acute respiratory distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1107-1116
- Neuromuscular blocking agents in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R43
- Neuromuscular blocking agents in ARDS.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1176-1180
- Neuromuscular blockade in patients with ARDS: a rapid practice guideline.Intensive Care Med. 2020; 46: 1977-1986
- Daily interruption of sedative infusions in critically ill patients undergoing mechanical ventilation.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1471-1477
- Effect of a scoring system and protocol for sedation on duration of patients' need for ventilator support in a surgical intensive care unit.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1386-1389
- International Analgesia, Sedation, and Delirium Practices: a prospective cohort study.J Intensive Care. 2019; 7: 25
- Practice patterns and outcomes associated with early sedation depth in mechanically ventilated patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Crit Care Med. 2018; 46: 471-479
- Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 6.2 (updated February 2021).Cochrane. 2021; (Available from)
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-34
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.Int J Surg. 2021; 88105906
- How to identify randomized controlled trials in MEDLINE: ten years on.J Med Libr Assoc. 2006; 94: 130-136
- Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound treatment studies in EMBASE.J Med Libr Assoc. 2006; 94: 41-47
Bower MCA. [November 8th 2019]. Available from: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/info/toolkit/learn-ebm/study-design-search-filters/.
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Reported methodologic quality and discrepancies between large and small randomized trials in meta-analyses.Ann Intern Med. 2001; 135: 982-989
- Controlled sedation with alphaxalone-alphadolone.Br Med J. 1974; 2: 656-659
- Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1959; 22: 719-748
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a region of Quebec from 1991 to 2003: a changing pattern of disease severity.CMAJ: Canadian Med Assoc j = journal de l'Association medicale canadienne. 2004; 171: 466-472
- Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 13
- How to conduct a Bayesian network meta-analysis.Front Vet Sci. 2020; 7: 271
- A Microsoft-Excel-based tool for running and critically appraising network meta-analyses–an overview and application of NetMetaXL.Syst Rev. 2014; 3: 110
- WinBUGS — a Bayesian modelling framework: concepts, structure, and extensibility.Stat Comput. 2000; : 325-337
- Effects of neuromuscular blockers on transpulmonary pressures in moderate to severe acute respiratory distress syndrome.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43: 408-418
- Clinical study of early use of neuromuscular blocking agents in patients with severe sepsis and acute respiratory distress syndrome.Zhonghua wei zhong bing ji jiu yi xue. 2014; 26: 325
- Neuromuscular blocking agents decrease inflammatory response in patients presenting with acute respiratory distress syndrome.Critical Care Med. 2006; 34: 2749-2757
- Effect of neuromuscular blocking agents on gas exchange in patients presenting with acute respiratory distress syndrome.Critical Care Med. 2004; 32: 113-119
GRADEpro Guideline Development Tool [Software]. McMaster University, 2015 (developed by Evidence Prime, Inc.). Available from gradepro.org.
- Neuromuscular blocking agents in acute respiratory distress syndrome: updated systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials.Intensive Care Med Experimental. 2020; 8 (SUPPL)
- Validation of neuromuscular blocking agent use in acute respiratory distress syndrome: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.Critical Care. 2020; 24: 8
- Adverse effects of neuromuscular blockers and their antagonists.Middle East J Anaesthesiol. 1998; 14: 341-373
- To retain spontaneous breathing or eliminate spontaneous breathing with neuromuscular blockers in acute respiratory distress syndrome patients?.Zhonghua wei zhong bing ji jiu yi xue. 2016; 28: 973-977
This study obtained no funding.