- •Support surfaces variables, such as size, material, and density can influence the force performed during chest compression.
- •Backboard was not relevant for decreasing strength, regardless of the bed/stretch and mattress setups and the backboards' characteristics.
- •The dimensions and type of beds and mattresses, mainly, are related to higher resistance.
- •Intensive care environments present the most significant challenge in terms of surface characteristics that do not favor quality chest compression..
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Reducing the impact of intensive care unit mattress compressibility during CPR: a simulation-based study.Adv Simul [Internet]. 2017; 2 (Available at:): 22
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation: the science behind the hands.Heart. 2018; 104 (Epub 2018 Jan 20. PMID: 29353251): 1056-1061https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2017-312696
- A model of collaboration between nursing education institutions in the North West Province of South Africa.Curationis [Internet]. 2017; 40 (Available at:): e1-10
- Impact of compression surfaces on cardiac massage during cardiopulmonary reanimation: an integrative review.Esc Anna Nery. 2021; 25e20210021https://doi.org/10.1590/2177-9465-EAN-2021-0021
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation quality: [corrected] improving cardiac resuscitation outcomes both inside and outside the hospital: a consensus statement from the.American Heart Association. Circulation. 2013; 128 (Jul 23Epub 2013 Jun 25. Erratum in: Circulation. 2013 Aug 20;128(8):e120. Erratum in: Circulation. 2013. Nov 12;128(20):e408. PMID: 23801105): 417-435https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0b013e31829d8654
- A new method to increase the quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in hospital.Annu Int Conf IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013; 2013: 469-472https://doi.org/10.1109/EMBC.2013.6609538
- Use of backboards in cardiopulmonary resuscitation: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Emerg Med. 2021 Jun: 28; : 180-188https://doi.org/10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000784
- Quality of CPR: an important effect modifier in cardiac arrest clinical outcomes and intervention effectiveness trials.Resuscitation. 2015; 94 (Available at:): 106-113https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2015.06.004
- Backboards are important when chest compressions are provided on a soft mattress.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2012; 83: 1013-1020https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2012.01.016
- Part 5: adult Basic Life Support and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Quality: 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.Circulation [Internet]. 2015 Nov; 132 (Available at:): S414-S435
- Part 3: adult Basic and Advanced Life Support: 2020 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care.Circulation [Internet]. 2020 Oct; 142: S366-S468https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000916
- What is the role of chest compression depth during out-of-hospital cardiac arrest resuscitation?.Crit Care Med [Internet]. 2012 Apr; 40 (Available at:): 1192-1198
- Chest compression depth and survival in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2014; 85: 182-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2013.10.002
- The optimal surface for delivery of CPR: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Resuscitation. 2020; 155: 159-164https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2020.07.020
- Quality of closed chest compression in ambulance vehicles, flying helicopters and at the scene.Resuscitation. 2007; 73: 264-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2006.09.007
- The impact of backboard placement on chest compression quality: a mannequin study.Prehosp Disaster Med. 2019; 34: 182-187https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023×19000153
- Manual versus mechanical chest compressions on surfaces of varying softness with or without backboards: a randomized, crossover manikin study.J Emerg Med. 2016; 50: 594-600https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2015.10.002
- Effects of a backboard, bed height, and operator position on compression depth during simulated resuscitation.Intensive Care Med [Internet]. 2006 Oct; 32 (Available at:): 1632-1635
- Chest compressions performed by ED staff: a randomized cross-over simulation study on the floor and on a stretcher.Am J Emerg Med [Internet]. 2012; 30: 1928-1934https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2012.04.013
- Effect of bed width on the quality of compressions in simulated resuscitation: a randomized crossover manikin study.Am J Emerg Med [Internet]. 2016; 34: 2272-2276https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2016.08.020
- The impact of compliant surfaces on in-hospital chest compressions: effects of common mattresses and a backboard.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2009; 80 (Available at:): 546-552
- Comparison of experimental chest compression data to a theoretical model for the mechanics of constant peak displacement cardiopulmonary resuscitation.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 1167-1176https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01213.x
- A randomized, controlled comparison of cardiopulmonary resuscitation performed on the floor and on a moving ambulance stretcher.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2006; 10: 68-70https://doi.org/10.1080/10903120500373108
- Do different mattresses affect the quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation?.Intensive Care Med [Internet]. 2003 Dec; 29 (Available at:): 2330-2335
- The effect of differing support surfaces on the efficacy of chest compressions using a resuscitation manikin model.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2001 Nov; 51 (Available at:): 179-183
- Preventing Pressure Ulcers: a Systematic Review.JAMA [Internet]. 2006 Aug; 296 (Available at:): 974
- Effect of mattress and bed frame deflection on real chest compression depth measured with two CPR sensors.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2014 Jun; 85: 840-843https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2014.03.009
- Effect of mattress deflection on CPR quality assessment for older children and adolescents.Resuscitation [Internet]. 2009 May; 80 (Available at:): 540-545
- Use of backboard and deflation improve quality of chest compression when cardiopulmonary resuscitation is performed on a typical air inflated mattress configuration.J Korean Med Sci [Internet]. 2013 Feb; 28 (Available at:): 315-319
- Effect of a backboard on compression depth during cardiac arrest in the ED: a simulation study.Am J Emerg Med [Internet]. 2016 Feb; 34 (Available at:): 274-277
- Does the Bed Frame Deflection Occur along with Mattress Deflection during In-Hospital Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation? an Experiment Using Mechanical Devices.Hong Kong J Emerg Med [Internet]. 2016 Mar; 23: 35-41https://doi.org/10.1177/102490791602300205
- Wood Handbook—Wood As an Engineering material. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-282.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI2021
Shackelford J.F., Han Y.H., Kim S., Kwon S.K. CRC Materials Science and Engineering Handbook. 4th ed. CRC Press. https://doi.org/10.1201/b18971; 2015