- •In amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, respiratory rate was related to ventilation mode.
- •Heart rate variability showed higher vagal activity when breathing pattern was slower.
- •Respiratory influences on autonomic control can be preserved.
- •Autonomic activity during ventilation may vary despite similar blood gasses.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Decreased heart rate variability predicts death in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Muscle Nerve. 2012; 46: 341-345
- Autonomic dysfunction in the early stage of ALS with bulbar involvement.Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2011; 12: 363-367
- Decreased heart rate variability in individuals with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Respir Care. 2019; 64: 1088-1095
- Decreased heart rate variability in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Muscle Nerve. 1995; 18: 1225-1231
- Impairment of cardiac autonomic control in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010; 11: 272-276
- Sleep cardiac dysautonomia and EEG oscillations in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Sleep. 2019; 42: zsz164
- Symptomatic treatments for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/motor neuron disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 1CD011776
- Circulatory collapse and sudden death in respirator-dependent amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.J Neurol Sci. 1994; 124: 45-55
- Short-term effects of pressure controlled versus volume controlled noninvasive ventilation in subjects with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Respir Care. 2021; 66: 1593-1600
- The ALSFRS-R: a revised ALS functional rating scale that incorporates assessments of respiratory function. BDNF ALS Study Group (Phase III).J Neurol Sci. 1999; 169: 13-21
- Progression rate of ALSFRS-R at time of diagnosis predicts survival time in ALS.Neurology. 2006; 66: 265-267
- EFNS guidelines on the clinical management of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (MALS) – revised report of an EFNS task force.Eur J Neurol. 2012; 19: 360-375
- Randomised controlled trial of non-invasive ventilation (NIV) for nocturnal hypoventilation in neuromuscular and chest wall disease patients with daytime normocapnia.Thorax. 2005; 60: 1019-1024
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Rules for scoring respiratory events in sleep: update of the 2007 AASM Manual for the Scoring of Sleep and Associated Events. Deliberations of the Sleep Apnea Definitions Task Force of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.J Clin Sleep Med. 2012; 8: 597-619
- AASM Scoring Manual Updates for 2017 (Version 2.4).J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 665-666
- SomnoNIV group. Framework for patient-ventilator asynchrony during long-term non-invasive ventilation.Thorax. 2019; 74: 715-717
- Heart rate variability: standards of measurement, physiological interpretation and clinical use. Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology.Circulation. 1996; 93: 1043-1065
- Heart rate variability and hemodynamic alterations in canines with normal cardiac function during exposure to pressure support, continuous positive airway pressure, and a combination of pressure support and continuous positive airway pressure.Biol Res Nurs. 2001; 2: 167-174
- Randomized trial of 'intelligent' autotitrating ventilation versus standard pressure support non-invasive ventilation: impact on adherence and physiological outcomes.Respirology. 2014; 19: 596-603
- Spectral analysis of heart rate variability: time window matters.Front Neurol. 2019; 10: 545
- Increased exhalation to inhalation ratio during breathing enhances high-frequency heart rate variability in healthy adults.Psychophysiology. 2021; 58: e13905
- Inhalation/exhalation ratio modulates the effect of slow breathing on heart rate variability and relaxation.Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2014; 39: 171-180
- Effects of inspiratory flow on lung stress, pendelluft, and ventilation heterogeneity in ARDS: a physiological study.Crit Care. 2019; 23: 369
- An overview of heart rate variability metrics and norms.Front Public Health. 2017; 5: 258
- Adrenergic origin of very low-frequency blood pressure oscillations in the unanesthetized rat.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2006; 290: H357-H364
- Reflex cardiovascular depression produced by stimulation of pulmonary stretch receptors in the dog.J Clin Invest. 1969; 48: 467-473
- Circadian variation of heart rate variability across sleep stages.Sleep. 2013; 36: 1919-1928