- •Effect of blended interventions on SMPs might be reached through a short-term timeframe.
- •A blended health education program is effective for improving SMPs for COPD patients.
- •The blended education program is convenient to use and may be applied in systematic procedures.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CSMS (COPD self-management scale), GOLD (global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease), QoL (quality of life), SMPs (self-management practices), SCT (social cognitive theory), WHO (world health organization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
World Health Organization (WHO). Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Accessed 19 July 2022. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-(copd); 2022.
- Global, regional, and national life expectancy, all-cause mortality, and cause-specific mortality for 249 causes of death, 1980–2015: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2015.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1459-1544
- Comprehensive self-management and routine monitoring in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients in general practice: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2012; 345: e7642
- The prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: a BOLD study.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2015; 19: 1252-1257
- Blended self-management interventions to reduce disease burden in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and asthma: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Med Internet Res. 2021; 23: e24602
- Self management for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 2014CD002990
- A self-management programme for COPD: a randomised controlled trial.Eur Respir J. 2014; 44: 1538-1547
- Effectiveness of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease self-management interventions in primary care settings: a systematic review.Aust J Prim Health. 2019; 25: 195-204
- Self-management behaviors to reduce exacerbation impact in COPD patients: a Delphi study.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2017; 12: 2735-2746
- Interventions to support behavioral self-management of chronic diseases.Annu Rev Public Health. 2019; 40: 127-146
- Supported self-management for patients with COPD who have recently been discharged from hospital: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015; 29: 853-867
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and exacerbations: patient insights from the global hidden depths of COPD survey.BMC Pulm Med. 2013; 13: 54
- Comprehensive effects of organized education for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2019; 14: 2603-2609
- Summarizing the 2021 updated GOLD guidelines for COPD.US Pharm. 2021; 46: 30-35
- Adherence to an eHealth self-management intervention for patients with both COPD and heart failure: results of a pilot study.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2021; 16: 2089-2103
- Effects of self-management education on quality of life of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Int J Nurs Sci. 2014; 1: 53-57
- Effective components of self-management programs for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: scoping review.Ad Respir Med. 2020; 88: 223-232
- Blending face-to-face and internet based interventions for the treatment of mental disorders in adults: systematic review.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19: e306
- Effect of a program combining transitional care and long-term self-management support on outcomes of hospitalized patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 320: 2335-2343
- Self management of patients with mild COPD in primary care: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2018; 361: k2241
- Developing a research agenda for primary prevention of chronic lung diseases–an NHLBI perspective.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 762-763
- Pulmonary rehabilitation for COPD: a narrative review and call for further implementation in Saudi Arabia.Ann Thorac Med. 2021; 16: 299-305
- Current care services provided for patients with COPD in the Eastern province in Saudi Arabia: a descriptive study.Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015; 10: 2379-2391
- Social foundations of thought and action: a social cognitive theory.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease.Eff Clin Pract. 2001; 4: 256-262
- Improving the reporting quality of nonrandomized evaluations of behavioral and public health interventions: the TREND statement.Am J Public Health. 2004; 94: 361-366
- The Saudi guidelines for the diagnosis and management of COPD.Ann Thorac Med. 2014; 9: 55-76
St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton. COPD patient education package. Accessed 19 July 2022. Available from: https://www.stjoes.ca/patients-visitors/patient-education/patient-education-a-e/copd-patient-education-package; 2014.
Canadian Lung Association. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Accessed 19 July 2022. Available from: https://www.lung.ca/lung-health/lung-disease/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-copd; 2021.
Chest Foundation. Living well with COPD: Patient education guide. Accessed 19 July 2022. Available from: https://foundation.chestnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Living-Well-With-COPD.pdf; 2018.
- Development and validation of a COPD self-management scale.Respir Care. 2013; 58: 1931-1936
- Resilience as a mediator of the association between spirituality and self-Management among older people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Healthcare. 2021; 9 (Basel): 1631
- Disease knowledge and self-management behavior of COPD patients in China.Medicine. 2019; 98 (Baltimore): e14460
- IBM SPSS statistics for windows, version 25.0.IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2017
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc Ser B Methodol. 1995; 57: 289-300
- The effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease self-management interventions on improvement of quality of life in COPD patients: a meta-analysis.Respir Med. 2016; 121: 81-90
- Effect of health education based on behavioral change theories on self-efficacy and self-management behaviors in patients with chronic heart failure.Iran J Public Health. 2019; 48: 421-428
- Integrated digital patient education at the bedside for patients with chronic conditions: observational study.JMIR MHealth UHealth. 2020; 8: e22947
- A mobile health application to support self-management in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2021; 35: 90-101
- Randomized controlled trial of an internet-based versus face-to-face dyspnea self-management program for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: pilot study.J Med Internet Res. 2008; 10: e9
- Effects of 8 weeks sustained follow-up after a nurse consultation on hypertension: a randomised trial.Int J Nurs Stud. 2010; 47: 1374-1382
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Behaviour change: general approaches. Public Health Guideline PH6. Accessed 19 July 2022. Available from: https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/ph6; 2007.