- •This pilot randomized clinical trial demonstrates the feasibility, acceptability, and potential benefits of a novel intervention that integrates core palliative care principles into outpatient heart failure care.
- •Modifications to outpatient cardiology clinic processes, along with training in palliative care principles, can allow for cardiology teams to attend to palliative needs.
Abbreviations:CASA (Collaborative Care to Alleviate Symptoms and Adjust to Illness), ENABLE-CHF (Educate Nurture Advise Before Life Ends), PENPal-HF (Primary Education for Nurses in Palliative care-HF), RE-AIM (reach effectiveness adoption implementation maintenance)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Symptoms, depression, and quality of life in patients with heart failure.J Card Fail. Oct 2007; 13: 643-648https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2007.05.005
- Comparing unmet needs between community-based palliative care patients with heart failure and patients with cancer.J Palliat Med. 2014; 17: 475-481https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.0526
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics 2021 Update.Circulation. 2021; 143 (2021/02/23): e254-e743https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000950
- Association Between Palliative Care and Patient and Caregiver Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.Jama. Nov 22 2016; 316: 2104-2114https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.16840
- Association of Receipt of Palliative Care Interventions With Health Care Use, Quality of Life, and Symptom Burden Among Adults With Chronic Noncancer Illness: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.Jama. Oct 13 2020; 324: 1439-1450https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.14205
- Comparison of Palliative Care Interventions for Cancer versus Heart Failure Patients: A Secondary Analysis of a Systematic Review.J Palliat Med. Aug 2019; 22: 966-969https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2018.0513
- Palliative Care in Heart Failure: Rationale, Evidence, and Future Priorities.J Am Coll Cardiol. Oct 10 2017; 70: 1919-1930https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.08.036
- Prevalence and Predictors of Burnout Among Hospice and Palliative Care Clinicians in the U.S.J Pain Symptom Manage. May 2020; 59: e6-e13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2019.11.017
- Policy Changes Key To Promoting Sustainability And Growth Of The Specialty Palliative Care Workforce.Health Aff (Millwood). Jun 2019; 38: 910-918https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.00018
- Generalist plus specialist palliative care–creating a more sustainable model.N Engl J Med. Mar 28 2013; 368: 1173-1175https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1215620
- Comparing Specialty and Primary Palliative Care Interventions: Analysis of a Systematic Review.J Palliat Med. Mar 2020; 23: 389-396https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2019.0349
- Not the ‘grim reaper service’”: An assessment of provider knowledge, attitudes, and perceptions regarding palliative care referral barriers in heart failure.J Amer Heart Assn. 2014; 3: e544-e545https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.113.000544
- Efficacy of communication skills training for giving bad news and discussing transitions to palliative care.Archives of internal medicine. 2007; 167: 453-460
- Using RE-AIM metrics to evaluate diabetes self-management support interventions.American journal of preventive medicine. 2006; 30: 67-73
- Evaluating the public health impact of health promotion interventions: the RE-AIM framework.American journal of public health. 1999; 89: 1322-1327
- The RE-AIM framework for evaluating interventions: what can it tell us about approaches to chronic illness management?.Patient Educ Couns. Aug 2001; 44: 119-127
- I'd Have to Basically Be on My Deathbed": Heart Failure Patients' Perceptions of and Preferences for Palliative Care.J Palliat Med. Jul 2020; 23: 915-921https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2019.0451
Skivington K, Matthews L, Simpson SA, Craig P, Baird J, Blazeby J. A new framework for developing and evaluating complex interventions: update of Medical Research Council guidance. 2021;374:n2061.
- Improving primary care for patients with chronic illness: the chronic care model, Part 2.Jama. 2002; 288: 1909-1914
- Improving primary care for patients with chronic illness.Jama. 2002; 288: 1775-1779
National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care 2013. http://www.nationalconsensusproject.org/NCP_Clinical_Practice_Guidelines_3rd_Edition.pdf
- Six-item screener to identify cognitive impairment among potential subjects for clinical research.Med Care. Sep 2002; 40: 771-781https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200209000-00007
- Commonly performed procedures in clinical research: a benchmark for payment.Contemp Clin Trials. 2012; 33: 860-868https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2012.05.001
- Template analysis.in: Symon G Cassell C Qualitative Methods and Analysis in Organizational Research. Sage, 1998
- Recommendations for planning pilot studies in clinical and translational research.Clin Transl Sci. Oct 2011; 4: 332-337https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-8062.2011.00347.x
- Teach a Man to Fish”: Clinician Perspectives on Primary Palliative Care in Heart Failure.Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2018; 24: S103
- Effect of an Early Palliative Care Telehealth Intervention vs Usual Care on Patients With Heart Failure: The ENABLE CHF-PC Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA Intern Med. Sep 1 2020; 180: 1203-1213https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.2861
- Effect of a Collaborative Care Intervention vs Usual Care on Health Status of Patients With Chronic Heart Failure: The CASA Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA Intern Med. Apr 1 2018; 178: 511-519https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.8667
- Effect of an Oncology Nurse-Led Primary Palliative Care Intervention on Patients With Advanced Cancer: The CONNECT Cluster Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA Intern Med. Nov 1 2021; 181: 1451-1460https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2021.5185
Collins LM.Optimization of behavioral, biobehavioral, and biomedical interventions: The multiphase optimization strategy (MOST). Springer; 2018.
ClinicalTrials.gov registration: NCT03170466. (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03170466)