- •When discontinuing treatment in PTE, the evaluation of symptoms, D-dimer level, echocardiography (ECHO), and bilateral lower extremity color Doppler ultrasound (US) findings can help identify patients who should be considered at risk of recurrence.
- •Guidelines recommend computed tomography pulmonary angiography (CTPA) when discontinuing treatment in symptomatic patients. However, some patients with no clinical symptoms have positive imaging results. This is important for the evaluation of chronic thromboembolism.
- •We believe that evaluation with CTPA at treatment discontinuation is necessary in patients with elevated D-dimer, mPAP on ECHO above 40 mmHg, and especially high PAOI at diagnosis.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Major pulmonary embolism: review of a pathophysiologic approach to the golden hour of hemodynamically significant pulmonary embolism.Chest. 2002; 121: 877-905
- Pulmonary embolism, part I: epidemiology, risk factors and risk stratification, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis and nonthrombotic pulmonary embolism.Exp Clin Cardiol. 2013; 18: 129
- Prevalence of pulmonary embolism at necropsy in patients with cancer.J Clin Pathol. 1989; 42: 805-809
- Acute pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 1037-1052
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: NHLBI/WHO global initiative for chronic obstructive lung disease (GOLD) workshop summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001; 163: 1256-1276
- Is inflammatory bowel disease an independent and disease specific risk factor for thromboembolism?.Gut. 2004; 53: 542-548
- Risk factors for venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with acute medical illness: analysis of the MEDENOX study.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 963-968
- Risk of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism after acute infection in a community setting.Lancet North Am Ed. 2006; 367: 1075-1079
- Venous thromboembolic risk and its prevention in hospitalized medical patients.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2002; : 577-584
- D-dimer for the exclusion of acute venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism: a systematic review.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 589-602
- Update on thrombolytic therapy in acute pulmonary thromboembolism.Eurasian J Med. 2019; 51: 186
- Longterm follow-up of patients with pulmonary thromboembolism: late prognosis and evolution of hemodynamic and respiratory data.Chest. 1982; 81: 151-158
- Kronik tromboembolik pulmoner hipertansiyon.Türk Kardiyoloji Derneği Arşivi. 2005; 33: 423-432
- 2019 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism developed in collaboration with the European respiratory society (ERS) the task force for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism of the European society of cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 543-603
- Non-traumatic thoracic emergencies: CT diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism: the first 10 years.Eur Radiol. 2002; 12: 1886-1905
- Update on diagnostic strategies of pulmonary embolism.Eur Radiol. 1999; 9: 262-275
- CT angiography of pulmonary embolism: diagnostic criteria and causes of misdiagnosis.Radiographics. 2004; 24: 1219-1238
- Imaging of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.Semin Roentgenol. 2005; : 41-47
- Comparison of long-term outcomes of 50 and 100mg rt-PA in the management of acute pulmonary thromboembolism.Clin Respir J. 2018; 12: 1628-1634
- Could HIF-1∝ be a novel biomarker for the clinical course and treatment of pulmonary embolism?.Turk J Med Sci. 2020; 50: 963-968
- Comparison of LMWH versus UFH for hemorrhage and hospital mortality in the treatment of acute massive pulmonary thromboembolism after thrombolytic treatment.Lung. 2015; 193: 121-127
Kerget B., Afşin D.E., Aksakal A., et al. Could VEGF-D level have a role in clinical risk scoring, estimation of thrombus burden, and treatment in acute pulmonary thromboembolism?; 2021.
- Resolution of pulmonary embolism on CT pulmonary angiography.Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 194: 1263-1268
- Long-term outcomes in acute pulmonary thromboembolism: the incidence of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension and associated risk factors.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2012; 18: 281-288
- Multicentre observational screening survey for the detection of CTEPH following pulmonary embolism.Eur Respir J. 2018; : 51
- An evaluation of D-dimer in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: a randomized trial.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 812-821
- D-dimer testing for suspected pulmonary embolism in outpatients.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 156: 492-496
- D-dimer testing to determine the duration of anticoagulation therapy.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 1780-1789
- Continuous wave Doppler determination of right ventricular pressure: a simultaneous Doppler-catheterization study in 127 patients.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985; 6: 750-756
- Impact of high altitude on echocardiographically determined cardiac morphology and function in patients with coronary artery disease and healthy controls.Eur J Echocardiogr. 2010; 11: 446-450