- •Agreement between nurses on patient risk of deterioration was fair to moderate.
- •Nurses agreed more between themselves than with early warning scores.
- •The correlation between nurses’ judgments and early warning scores was stronger on the surgical unit.
- •Nurses’ level of agreement did not differ depending on their first language, years of experience, or educational level.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Defining patient deterioration through acute care and intensive care nurses' perspectives.Nurs Crit Care. 2016; 21: 68-77https://doi.org/10.1111/nicc.12114
- Thinking like a nurse: a research-based model of clinical judgment in nursing.J Nurs Educ. 2006; 45: 204-211https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20060601-04
- The published literature on handoffs in hospitals: deficiencies identified in an extensive review.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19: 493-497https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2009.033480
- Research on nursing handoffs for medical and surgical settings: an integrative review.J Adv Nurs. 2013; 69: 247-262https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2012.06087.x
- Nursing handoffs: a systematic review of the literature.Am J Nurs. 2010; 110: 24-34https://doi.org/10.1097/01.naj.0000370154.79857.09
- Expert performance in nursing: reviewing research on expertise in nursing within the framework of the expert-performance approach.Adv Nurs Sci. 2007; 30: E58-E71https://doi.org/10.1097/00012272-200701000-00014
- Human Judgment and Social Policy: Irreducible uncertainty, Inevitable error, Unavoidable Injustice.Oxford University Press, New York, NY1996
- How nurse practitioners make decisions regarding coronary heat disease risk: a social judgment analysis.Int J Nurs Knowl. 2012; 23: 29-40https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2047-3095.2011.01196.x
- Nurses' critical event risk assessments: a judgement analysis.J Clin Nurs. 2007; 18: 601-612https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02191.x
- Capturing judgement strategies in risk assessments with improved quality of clinical information: how nurses' strategies differ from the ecological model.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2016; 16: 7https://doi.org/10.1186/s12911-016-0243-1
- Recognising clinical instability in hospital patients before cardiac arrest or unplanned admission to intensive care: a pilot study in a tertiary-care hospital.Med J Aust. 1999; 171: 22-25https://doi.org/10.5694/j.1326-5377.1999.tb123492.x
- Incidence, location and reasons for avoidable in-hospital cardiac arrest in a district general hospital.Resuscitation. 2002; 54: 115-123https://doi.org/10.1016/s0300-9572(02)00098-9
- The value of vital sign trends for detecting clinical deterioration on the wards.Resuscitation. 2016; 102: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2016.02.005
- Advancing in-hospital clinical deterioration prediction models.Am J Crit Care. 2018; 27: 381-391https://doi.org/10.4037/ajcc2018957
- Development and validation of an electronic medical record-based alert score for detection of inpatient deterioration outside the ICU.J Biomed Inform. 2016; 64: 10-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2016.09.013
- Validation of a modified early warning score in medical admissions.QJM. 2001; 94: 507-510https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/94.10.521
- National Early Warning Score (NEWS): Standardising the Assessement of Acute-Illness Severity in the NHS.London: Royal College of Physicians, 2012
- ViEWS—Towards a national early warning score for detecting adult inpatient deterioration.Resuscitation. 2010; 81: 932-937https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2010.04.014
- Strengths and limitations of early warning scores: a systematic review and narrative synthesis.Int J Nurs Stud. 2017; 76: 106-119https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.09.003
- Early warning system scores for clinical deterioration in hospitalized patients: a systematic review.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 1454-1465https://doi.org/10.1513/annalsats.201403-102oc
- Hospital system barriers to rapid response team activation: a cognitive work analysis.Am J Nurs. 2015; 2015: 22-33https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000460673.82070.af
- Track, trigger and teamwork: communication of deterioration in acute medical and surgical wards.Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2010; 26: 10-17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iccn.2009.10.006
- Rapid response systems and collective (in)competence: an exploratory analysis of intraprofessional and interprofessional activation factors.J Interprof Care. 2015; 29: 340-346https://doi.org/10.3109/13561820.2014.984021
- Detection and management of the deteriorating ward patient: an evaluation of nursing practice.J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24: 173-182https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12655
- Nurses' worry or concern and early recognition of deteriorating patients on general wards in acute care hospitals: a systematic review.Crit Care. 2015; 19: 230https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-015-0950-5
- The identification of risk factors for cardiac arrest and formulation of activation criteria to alert a medical emergency team.Resuscitation. 2002; 54: 125-131https://doi.org/10.1016/s0300-9572(02)00100-4
- Signs of critical conditions and emergency responses (SOCCER): a model for predicting adverse events in the inpatient setting.Resuscitation. 2006; 69: 175-183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2005.08.015
- Effects of a medical emergency team on reduction of incidence of and mortality from unexpected cardiac arrests in hospital: preliminary study.Br Med J. 2002; 324: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7334.387
- What factors influence ward nurses’ recognition of and response to patient deterioration? An integrative review of the literature.Nurs Open. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1002/nop2.53
- Acceptability and feasibility of recruitment and data collection in a field study of hospital nurses' handoffs using mobile devices.Pilot Feasibility Stud. 2018; 4: 163https://doi.org/10.1186/s40814-018-0353-x
- Patient acuity rating: quantifying clinical judgment regarding inpatient stability.J Hosp Med. 2011; 6: 480-488https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.886
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101https://doi.org/10.1191/1478088706qp063oa
- Predicting and communicating risk of clinical deterioration: an observational cohort study of internal medicine residents.J Gen Intern Med. 2015; 30: 448-453https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-014-3114-4
- Comparison of the national early warning score in non-elective medical and surgical patients.Br J Surg. 2016; 103: 1385-1393https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.10267
- The meta-analysis of clinical judgment project effects of experience on judgment accuracy.Couns Psychol. 2009; 37: 350-399https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000006295149
- Comparison processes in social judgment: mechanisms and consequences.Psychol. Rev. 2003; 110: 472-489https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295x.110.3.472