- •Health anxiety in heart transplanted patients has been neglected by the literature.
- •Health anxiety was significantly associated with a worse clinical status.
- •An important subset of patients showed clinically significant fears of illness.
- •Health anxiety should be carefully assessed during the transplantation program.
- •Specific interventions for health anxiety may be necessary after transplantation.
Health anxiety is an important component of psychological adjustment to chronic medical conditions. However, it has been overlooked after heart transplantation.
To examine demographic, clinical, and psychological correlates of health anxiety in heart transplanted patients and to compare health anxiety between patients and a sample of matched controls from the general population.
The study design was observational. Seventy-three cardiac recipients and 73 controls completed the Illness Attitude Scales and the Symptom Questionnaire. Patients’ clinical parameters were collected.
Health anxiety was significantly associated with clinical variables suggesting a worse outcome, especially a higher NYHA class and occurrence of cancer. Compared to controls, patients had significantly more “hypochondriacal responses” (32.9% vs. 16.4%), an index of clinically significant health anxiety.
Health anxiety affects a significant subset of heart transplanted patients and deserves a thorough assessment. Cardiologists’ and nurses’ specific communication skills and psychological treatment strategies may be necessary.
Abbreviations:IAS (illness attitude scales), NYHA (New York heart association), SQ (symptom questionnaire), VIF (variance inflation factor)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- International society for heart and lung transplantation. The international thoracic organ transplant registry of the international society for heart and lung transplantation: thirty-fifth adult heart transplantation report-2018; focus theme: multiorgan transplantation.J Heart Lung Transpl. 2018; 37: 1155-1168https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2018.07.022
- Mortality, rehospitalization, and post-transplant complications in gender-mismatched heart transplant recipients.Heart Lung. 2017; 46: 265-272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2017.04.004
- Complications of cardiac transplantation.Curr Cardiol Rep. 2018; 20: 73https://doi.org/10.1007/s11886-018-1018-3
- The effect of clinical variables on distress and depressive symptoms among heart transplant recipients.Heart Lung. 2018; 47: 68-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2017.09.008
- The meaning of being in uncertainty after heart transplantation - an unrevealed source to distress.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2017; 16: 167-174https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515116648240
- Anxiety and risk of incident coronary heart disease: a meta-analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 38-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.03.034
- Anxiety and new onset of cardiovascular disease: critical review and meta-analysis.Br J Psychiatry. 2016; 208: 223-231https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.114.156554
- Recent advances in the understanding and treatment of health anxiety.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2018; 20: 49https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-018-0912-0
- Long-term consequences of severe health anxiety on sick leave in treated and untreated patients: analysis alongside a randomised controlled trial.J Anxiety Disord. 2015; 32: 95-102https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2015.04.001
- Epidemiology of hypochondriasis and health anxiety: comparison of different diagnostic criteria.Curr Psychiatry Rev. 2014; 10: 14-23https://doi.org/10.2174/1573400509666131119004444
- Prevalence of health anxiety problems in medical clinics.J Psychosom Res. 2011; 71: 392-394https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2011.07.004
- Health anxiety and risk of ischaemic heart disease: a prospective cohort study linking the Hordaland Health Study (HUSK) with the cardiovascular diseases in Norway (CVDNOR) project.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012914https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012914
- Prognostic association of cardiac anxiety with new cardiac events and mortality following myocardial infarction.Br J Psychiatry. 2016; 209: 400-406https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.115.174870
- Somatization. Theories and research.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1990; 178: 150-160
- Somatosensory amplification - an old construct from a new perspective.J Psychosom Res. 2017; 101: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2017.07.011
- Fears, beliefs, and attitudes in DSM-III hypochondriasis.J Nerv Ment Dis. 1987; 175: 20-25https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-198701000-00004
- The Illness Attitude Scales. A clinimetric index for assessing hypochondriacal fears and beliefs.Psychother Psychosom. 2008; 77: 337-350https://doi.org/10.1159/000151387
- Dimensional assessment of hypochondriacal fears and beliefs.Curr Psychiatry Rev. 2014; 10: 50-57https://doi.org/10.2174/1573400509666131119005346
- Psychometric properties of internet-administered measures of health anxiety: an investigation of the Health Anxiety Inventory, the Illness Attitude Scales, and the Whiteley Index.J Anxiety Disord. 2015; 31: 32-37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2015.01.008
- A symptom questionnaire.J Clin Psychiatry. 1987; 48: 268-274
- The Symptom Questionnaire: British standardization data.Br J Clin Psychol. 1996; 35: 85-90https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8260.1996.tb01164.x
- Somatic symptom burden and health anxiety in the population and their correlates.J Psychosom Res. 2015; 78: 71-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2014.11.012
- Heart failure symptom relationships: a systematic review.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014; 29: 416-422https://doi.org/10.1097/JCN.0b013e31829b675e
- Influence of depression and gender on symptom burden among patients with advanced heart failure: insight from the pain assessment, incidence and nature in heart failure study.Heart Lung. 2019; 48: 201-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2019.02.002
- Characterizing the psychological distress response before and after a cancer diagnosis.J Behav Med. 2013; 36: 591-600https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-012-9453-x
- Relationships between life stressors, health behaviors, and chronic medical conditions in mid-life adults: a narrative review.Psychosomatics. 2019; 60: 153-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psym.2018.12.007
- Is optimism associated with healthier cardiovascular-related behavior? Meta-analyses of 3 health behaviors.Circ Res. 2018; 122: 1119-1134https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.117.310828
- Trends in age-related disease burden and healthcare utilization.Aging Cell. 2019; 18: e12861https://doi.org/10.1111/acel.12861
- Gender differences in appraisal of stress and coping 5 years after heart transplantation.Heart Lung. 2016; 45: 41-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2015.09.009
- Hypochondriacal concerns and somatic symptoms in patients with chronic airflow obstruction.J Psychosom Res. 1987; 31: 575-582https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(87)90036-5
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.5th ed. American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, VA2013
- Medically unexplained symptoms, somatisation disorder and hypochondriasis: course and prognosis. A systematic review.J Psychosom Res. 2009; 66: 363-377https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2008.09.018
- Strengthening competence of therapists-in-training in the treatment of health anxiety (hypochondriasis): validation of the assessment of core CBT skills (ACCS).Clin Psychol Psychother. 2019; 26: 319-327https://doi.org/10.1002/cpp.2353
- Health anxiety.BMJ. 2019; 364: l774https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l774
- Reassurance and the anxious cancer patient.Br J Cancer. 2004; 91: 893-899https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602077
- A systematic review of interventions for health anxiety presentations across diverse chronic illnesses.Int J Behav Med. 2019; 26: 3-16https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-018-9748-6
- Cognitive-behaviour therapy for health anxiety in medical patients (CHAMP): a randomised controlled trial with outcomes to 5 years.Health Technol Assess. 2017; 21: 1-58https://doi.org/10.3310/hta21500
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction for solid organ transplant recipients: a randomized controlled trial.Altern Ther Health Med. 2010; 16: 30-38
- A resilience intervention involving mindfulness training for transplant patients and their caregivers.Clin Transpl. 2016; 30: 1466-1472https://doi.org/10.1111/ctr.12841
- The support, education, and research in chronic heart failure study (SEARCH): a mindfulness-based psychoeducational intervention improves depression and clinical symptoms in patients with chronic heart failure.Am Heart J. 2009; 157: 84-90https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2008.08.033
- Effects of a mindfulness-based intervention on symptoms and signs in chronic heart failure: a feasibility study.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2018; 17: 54-65https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515117715843
- Meditation interventions among heart failure patients: an integrative review.Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2019; 18: 720-728https://doi.org/10.1177/1474515119863181
- BRIGHT study team. Health literacy in heart transplantation: prevalence, correlates and associations with health behaviors - findings from the international BRIGHT study.J Heart Lung Transpl. 2017; 36: 272-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2016.08.024
- Learning to live again: the role of education in heart transplant recipients.Crit Care Nurs Q. 2018; 41: 389-393https://doi.org/10.1097/CNQ.0000000000000225
Published online: March 04, 2020
Accepted: December 9, 2019
Received in revised form: December 5, 2019
Received: June 26, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.