- •CHA₂DS₂-VASc scores significantly higher in this rural sample than in US averages.
- •mECG screening yielded a 3–4% rate of positive AFib, higher than similar studies.
- •Results suggest potential value in using mECG technology to screen in rural areas.
Abbreviations:AFib (atrial fibrillation), APP (application), ECG (electrocardiogram), mECG (mobile-ECG)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Decline in US stroke mortality: an analysis of temporal patterns by sex, race, and geographic region.Stroke. 2001; 32: 2213-2220
Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation. (2016). Global Burden of Diseases, Injuries, and Risk Factors. [Data file]. Retrieved from: http://ghdx.healthdata.org/gbd-results-tool.
Justus-Warren Heart Disease & Stroke Prevention Task Force. (2012). The North Carolina Plan for prevention and management of heart disease and stroke, 2012-2017. Retrieved from: https://startwithyourheart.com/Justus-Warren/downloads/Reports_and_Priorities/Revised%20NC%20Plan%20for%20Prevention%20%20Management%20of%20Heart%20Disease%20and%20Stroke_For%20Publication.pdf.
- Monitoring patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators using mobile phone electrocardiogram: case study.JMIR Cardiol. 2018; 2 (Retrieved from:): e5https://cardio.jmir.org/2018/1/e5/?utm_source=TrendMD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=JMIR_Cardio_TrendMD_1
- Clinical pharmacy practice patterns among north carolina rural hospitals.J Pharm Pract. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1177/0897190019866325
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1584
- Feasibility and cost-effectiveness of stroke prevention through community screening for atrial fibrillation using iPhone ECG in pharmacies. The search-AF study.Thromb Haemost. 2014; 111: 1167-1176https://doi.org/10.1160/TH14-03-0231
- Multi-centre randomised controlled trial of a smart phone-based event recorder alongside standard care versus standard care for patients presenting to the emergency department with palpitations and pre-syncope–the IPED (Investigation of Palpitations in the ED) study: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.Trials. 2018; 19: 711https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-018-3098-1
- The heart rhythm society/American College of Physicians Atrial fibrillation screening and education initiative.Heart Rhythm. 2019;
- Burden of Cardiovascular Disease in North Carolina.N.C. Department of Health and Human Services, Raleigh, N.C.2012 (2012)