- •Ventilator induced lung injuries are due to excessive stress, strain, or atelectrauma.
- •Driving pressure assesses the strain applied to the lungs during mechanical ventilation.
- •Mechanical power represents the energy load transferred from the ventilator to the respiratory system.
- •INTELLiVENT-ASV selected driving pressure and mechanical power considered in safe ranges for lung protection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Ventilator-induced lung injury.Clin Chest Med. 2016; 37 (Epub 2016 Oct 14): 633-646https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccm.2016.07.004
- Should we use driving pressure to set tidal volume?.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2017; 23: 38-44https://doi.org/10.1097/MCC.0000000000000377
- Effect of end-inspiratory plateau pressure duration on driving pressure.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43 (Epub 2016 Dec 20): 587-589https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-016-4651-6
- The effects of low tidal ventilation on lung strain correlate with respiratory system compliance.Crit Care. 2017; 21: 23https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-017-1600-x
- Airway driving pressure and lung stress in ards patients.Crit Care. 2016; 20: 276https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-016-1446-7
- Driving pressure and survival in the acute respiratory distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 747-755https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1410639
- Potentially modifiable factors contributing to outcome from acute respiratory distress syndrome: the lung safe study.Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42: 1865-1876https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-016-4571-5
- Association between ventilatory settings and development of acute respiratory distress syndrome in mechanically ventilated patients due to brain injury.J Crit Care. 2017; 38 (Epub 2016 Nov 18): 341-345https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.11.010
- Association between driving pressure and development of postoperative pulmonary complications in patients undergoing mechanical ventilation for general anaesthesia: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4 (Epub 2016 Mar 4): 272-280https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(16)00057-6
- Mortality and pulmonary mechanics in relation to respiratory system and transpulmonary driving pressures in ards.Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42 (Epub 2016 Jun 18): 1206-1213https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-016-4403-7
- Ventilator-related causes of lung injury: the mechanical power.Intensive Care Med. 2016; 42 (Epub 2016 Sep 12): 1567-1575https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-016-4505-2
- Dissipation of energy during the respiratory cycle: conditional importance of ergotrauma to structural lung damage.Curr Opin Crit Care. 2018; 24: 16-22https://doi.org/10.1097/MCC.0000000000000470
- Mechanical power and development of ventilator-induced lung injury.Anesthesiology. 2016; 124: 1100-1108https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001056
- Forel JM; investigators of the acurasys and proseva trials. effect of driving pressure on mortality in ards patients during lung protective mechanical ventilation in two randomized controlled trials.Crit Care. 2016; 20: 384
- Pulmonary mechanics and mortality in mechanically ventilated patients without acute respiratory distress syndrome: a cohort study.Shock. 2018; 49: 311-316https://doi.org/10.1097/SHK.0000000000000977
- The future of mechanical ventilation: lessons from the present and the past.Crit Care. 2017; 21: 183https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-017-1750-x
- Safety and efficacy of a fully closed-loop control ventilation (IntelliVent-ASV®) in sedated icu patients with acute respiratory failure: a prospective randomized crossover study.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38 (Epub 2012 Mar 30): 781-787https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-012-2548-6
- Simple method to measure total expiratory time constant based on passive expiratory flow-volume curve.Crit Care Med. 1995; 23: 1117-1122
- Mechanics of breathing in man.J Appl Physiol. 1950; 2: 592-607
- Control of respiratory frequency.J Appli Physiol. 1960; 15: 325-336
- Evaluation of fully automated ventilation: a randomized controlled study in post-cardiac surgery patients.Intensive Care Med. 2013; 39 (Epub 2013 Jan 22): 463-471https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-012-2799-2
- Closed-loop ventilation mode (IntelliVent®-ASV) in intensive care unit: a randomized trial.Minerva Anestesiol. 2016; 82 (Epub 2016 Mar 8): 657-668
- Feasibility study on full closed-loop control ventilation (IntelliVent-ASV™) in icu patients with acute respiratory failure: a prospective observational comparative study.Crit Care. 2013; 17: R196https://doi.org/10.1186/cc12890
- Parameters for simulation of adult subjects during mechanical ventilation.Respir Care. 2018; 63 (Epub 2017 Oct 17): 158-168https://doi.org/10.4187/respcare.05775
- Optimal duration of a sustained inflation recruitment maneuver in ards patients.Intensive Care Med. 2011; 37 (Epub 2011 Aug 20): 1588-1594https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-011-2323-0
- Maximal recruitment open lung ventilation in acute respiratory distress syndrome (PHARLAP): a phase II, multicenter, randomized.Controlled Trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2019; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201901-0109OC
- The application of esophageal pressure measurement in patients with respiratory failure.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 520-531https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201312-2193CI
- Recruitment maneuvers: using transpulmonary pressure to help goldilocks.Intensive Care Med. 2017; 43 (Epub 2017 Apr 6): 1162-1163https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-017-4784-2
- Mechanical ventilation guided by esophageal pressure in acute lung injury.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359 (Epub 2008 Nov 11): 2095-2104https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0708638
- Respiratory mechanics by least squares fitting in mechanically ventilated patients: applications during paralysis and during pressure support ventilation.Intensive Care Med. 1995; 21: 406-413
- Automatic selection of breathing pattern using adaptive support ventilation.Intensive Care Med. 2008; 34 (Epub 2007 Sep 11): 75-81
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome: the berlin definition.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2526-2533https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.5669
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive lung disease 2017 report: gold executive summary.Eur Respir J. 2017; 49 (pii: 1700214 Print 2017)https://doi.org/10.1183/13993003.00214-2017
- Ventilation with lower tidal volumes as compared with traditional tidal volumes for acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 1301-1308
- Mechanical power of ventilation is associated with mortality in critically ill patients: an analysis of patients in two observational cohorts.Intensive Care Med. 2018; 44 (Epub 2018 Oct 5): 1914-1922https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-018-5375-6
- Ventilation with lower tidal volumes as compared with conventional tidal volumes for patients without acute lung injury: a preventive randomized controlled trial.Crit Care. 2010; 14 (Epub 2010 Jan 7): R1https://doi.org/10.1186/cc8230
- Impact of the driving pressure on mortality in obese and non-obese ards patients: a retrospective study of 362 cases.Intensive Care Med. 2018; 44 (Epub 2018 Jun 15): 1106-1114https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-018-5241-6
- Epidemiology, patterns of care, and mortality for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in intensive care units in 50 countries.JAMA. 2016; 315: 788-800https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.0291