Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart & Lung: The Journal of Cardiopulmonary and Acute Care
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2006 update: a report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee.Circulation. 2006; 113: 85-151
- ACC/AHA 2005 guideline update for the diagnosis and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to update the 2001 guidelines for the evaluation and management of heart failure).Circulation. 2005; 112: 154-235
- Prognosis and determinants of survival in patients newly hospitalized for heart failure: a population-based study.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 1689-1694
- Effect of carvedilol on the morbidity of patients with severe chronic heart failure: results of the carvedilol prospective randomized cumulative survival (COPERNICUS) study.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2194-2199
- Treatment of acute heart failure: out with the old, in with the new.JAMA. 2002; 287: 1578-1580
- The EuroHeart Failure Survey Programme: a survey on the quality of care among patients with heart failure in Europe.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 442-463
- Executive summary of the guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of acute heart failure: The Task Force on Acute Heart Failure of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 384-416
- Executive Summary: HFSA 2006 comprehensive heart failure practice guideline.J Card Fail. 2006; 12: 10-38
- ABC of heart failure.Br Med J. 2000; 320: 167-170
- Effects of nesiritide versus dobutamine on short-term outcomes in the treatment of patients with acutely decompensated heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 798-803
- Short-term intravenous milrinone for acute exacerbation of chronic heart failure: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 287: 1541-1547
- Efficacy and safety of intravenous levosimendan compared with dobutamine in severe low-output heart failure (the LIDO study): a randomised double-blind trial.Lancet. 2002; 360: 196-202
- Continuous intravenous dobutamine is associated with an increased risk of death in patients with advanced heart failure: insights from the Flolan International Randomized Survival Trial (FIRST).Am Heart J. 1999; 138: 78-86
Zairis MN, Apostolatos C, Anastassiadis F, et al. Comparison of the effect of levosimendan, or dobutamine or placebo in chronic low output decompensated heart failure. Calcium Sensitizer or Inotrope or None in low output heart failure (CASINO) study. In Program and Abstracts of the European Society of Cardiology, Heart Failure Update 2004; June 12-15; Wroclaw, Poland, Abstract 273.
- Clinical trials update from the European Society of Cardiology Heart Failure meeting: SHAPE, BRING-UP 2 VAS, COLA II, FOSIDIAL, BETACAR, CASINO and meta-analysis of cardiac resynchronisation therapy.Eur J Heart Fail. 2004; 6: 673-676
- Usefulness of soluble and surface-bound P-selectin in detecting heightened platelet activity in patients with congestive heart failure.Am J Cardiol. 1999; 83: 1345-1349
- Accessed December 6, 2006)
- Intravenous administration of furosemide in heart failure.JAMA. 1967; 200: 824-829
- Impact of intravenous diuretics on the outcomes of patients hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure: insights from the ADHERE registry.J Card Fail. 2004; 10 ([abstract]): S116
- Untreated heart failure: clinical and neuroendocrine effects of introducing diuretics.Br Heart J. 1987; 57: 17-22
- BG9719 (CVT-124), an A1 adenosine receptor antagonist, protects against the decline in renal function observed with diuretic therapy.Circulation. 2002; 105: 1348-1353
Kaplan NM, editor. Treatment of hypertension: drug therapy. In: Clinical hypertension. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins; 1994;281-98.
Faris R, Flather MD, Purcell H, Poole-Wilson PA, Coats AJS. Diuretics for heart failure. The Cochrane database of Systemic reviews 2006, issue 1. Art. No.: CD003838. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003838.pub2.
- Continuous infusion of furosemide in the treatment of patients with congestive heart failure and diuretic resistance.J Intern Med. 1994; 235: 329-334
- Diuretic efficacy of high dose furosemide in severe heart failure: bolus injection versus continuous infusion.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996; 28: 376-382
Salvador DRK, Rey NR, Ramos, GC, Punzalan FER. Continuous infusion versus bolus injection of loop diuretics in congestive heart failure. the Cochrane database of systemic reviews 2004 Art No.: CD003178.pub2.DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD003178.pub2.
- Prospective randomized evaluation of cardiac ectopy with dobutamine or Natrecor therapy Effect of nesiritide (B-type natriuretic peptide) and dobutamine on ventricular arrhythmias in the treatment of patients with acutely decompensated congestive heart failure: the PRECEDENT study.Am Heart J. 2002; 144: 1102-1108
- In-hospital mortality in patients with acute decompensated heart failure requiring intravenous vasoactive medications: an analysis from the Acute Decompensated Heart Failure National Registry (ADHERE).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 57-64
- Adherence to heart failure quality-of-care indicators in US hospitals: analysis of the ADHERE registry.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1469-1477
- Reassessment of dobutamine, dopamine, and milrinone in the management of acute heart failure syndromes.Am J Cardiol. 2005; 96: 47-58
- Inotropic therapy for heart failure: an evidence-based approach.Am Heart J. 2001; 142: 393-401
- Development of short term myocardial hibernation: its limitation by the severity of ischemia and inotropic stimulation.Circulation. 1993; 88: 684-695
- Inotropic stimulation by dobutamine increases left ventricular regional function at the expense of metabolism in hibernating myocardium.Am Heart J. 1996; 132: 542-549
- Prevalence of myocardial viability as detected by positron emission tomography in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy.Circulation. 1999; 99: 2921-2926
- From coronary artery disease to heart failure: role of hibernating myocardium.Am J Cardiol. 1995; 7: 16E-22E
- Accessed December 3, 2006.)
- Hemodynamic effects of a single intravenous injection of synthetic human brain natriuretic peptide in patients with heart failure secondary to ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 78: 896-901
- Systemic hemodynamic, neurohormonal, and renal effects of a steady-state infusion of human brain natriuretic peptide in patients with hemodynamically decompensated heart failure.J Card Fail. 1998; 4: 37-44
- Sustained hemodynamic effects of an infusion of nesiritide (human b-type natriuretic peptide) in heart failure: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999; 34: 155-162
- Intravenous nesiritide, a natriuretic peptide, in the treatment of decompensated congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 246-253
- Intravenous nesiritide vs nitroglycerin for treatment of decompensated congestive heart failure: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 287: 1531-1540
- Safety and feasibility of using serial infusions of nesiritide for heart failure in an outpatient setting (from the FUSION I trial).Am J Cardiol. 2004; 94: 595-601
- Am J Emerg Med. 2005; 23: 327-331
- Nesiritide—not verified.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353 ([comment]): 113-116
- Short-term risk of death after treatment with nesiritide for decompensated heart failure: a pooled analysis of randomized controlled trials.JAMA. 2005; 293: 1900-1905
- Risk of worsening renal function with nesiritide in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure.Circulation. 2005; 111: 1487-1491
- Accessed December 4, 2006.)
- Should beta-blockers be discontinued in acutely decompensated heart failure patients?.Cleve Clin J Med. 2006; 73: 557-559
- Comparative hemodynamic and neurohormonal effects of intravenous captopril and digoxin and their combination in patients with severe heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1989; 13: 134-142
- Effects of oral tolvaptan in patients hospitalized for worsening heart failure: The EVEREST Outcome Trial.JAMA. 2007; 297: 1319-1331
Conflict of interest: None.